Adult Community Mental Health (ACMH)

Adult Community Mental Health (ACMH)


How do I Start?

Anyone that has not seen a Mental Health Worker in the past 6 months will be asked to call the Intake Worker. All services are voluntary and it is best if clients make their own calls. If someone is unable to call; the person calling on their behalf should have their consent.  

Written referrals are accepted from:

  • Inpatient psychiatric units
  • Physicians
  • Other agencies involved with the adult

The person must be aware of the referral and want to connect with mental health services.


Who can access ACMH?

  • You are over 18 years of age
  • You have symptoms of a mental health concern.

Signs to look for that may tell you that you need help:

  • You are thinking about hurting yourself or someone else
  • You are having trouble coping and it is effecting your job, health, or life in general.
  • You have had something traumatic happen and you are having trouble getting over it
  • You feel that you are getting worse instead of better despite medication
  • You think you have anxiety, depression, or are hearing / seeing things   that are not there.


What do we offer?

Services may include:

  • mental health promotion
  • learning about medication and illness    
  • brief therapy
  • long term therapy
  • help getting back into the community

Community Mental Health Workers work side-by-side with the family and other service providers to offer the best possible care.


What happens next?

The Access Worker will talk with you on the phone or in-person to help decide the services best suited to meet your needs. Anyone is welcome to call the Access Worker to start the process. The worker starts by asking some questions like age, address, job, and so on. Then they will go over the reason that you want mental health services.

It is important to also go over risks, such as thoughts of suicide, drug and alcohol use, and aggressive behaviors. The questions asked, help to find the best services and decide how quickly they are needed.

People having symptoms affecting their mental health will be linked to a Community Mental Health Worker for talk therapy. You can expect the Access Worker to help you problem solve and help you find the best services for your needs. The Worker will do their best to help the person access services through other agencies. Examples of other agencies include:

  • Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
  • Women’s Resource Centre
  • Manitoba Family Services & Housing
  • Employee Assistance Programs
  • Private counselling
  • Clergy

Contact Information:


Dauphin & Area                   204-638-2118

Swan River & Area               204-734-6601

Roblin                                 204-937-2151

Ste. Rose du Lac                  204-447-4080

South                                                   1 -855-222-6011

"Should I contact north or south?"